Tuesday, December 18, 2012

17 December 2012

To start off this letter, I just wanted to put the greatest emphasis on retaining knowledge, and being able to use it when the Lord asks you to.

This week was a really slow one.  None of our investigators came to church and we had a really tough time in trying to find some people that want to hear the message of the restored Gospel.  It was really hard.  To add to that, Elder Ambrose got a nasty cold that was kicking his butt.  Then to top it all off, he got into a bicycle accident and we ended up traveling to the hospital.

When it comes to studying and preparing for anything, it is nice to have the ability to call on that knowledge in any circumstance that it requires.  Luckily I have paid attention to my Father who is a registered nurse.  I have been able to learn so much from him and also been able to use those skills while on this mission.  It works the same way with the Gospel.  Recalling knowledge and putting to action are great ways to have the experience needed to be able to teach when you get the opportunity.  Even if it is not using words.

This week we got into a little scuffle with someone of another faith trying to prove us wrong in what we are doing.  Calling us naive and making rude remarks toward the church.  I thought I was going to rip this guys head off!  Luckily Elder Ambrose simply motioned for me to take it easy.  Although the man still didn't accept what we had to say, being able to defend and back my defense based on studies of the history of religion and readings of the Book of Mormon and the Bible have really helped me to declare the Gospel to the world of Jamaica.

We have been doing a lot of finding recently.  Trying to pick up the elect who are preparing themselves to receive the restored Gospel.  It has been quite the adventure.  We hope that all will go well this week as we have been trying to improve the area of Negril.

Now to the point... On Thursday of last week, we had a rough day.  Not a lot of teaching got done, and those in which we attempted shut us out pretty hard.  Not fun working a place where there are more churches than stores.  Later that night after a relaxing time at a dinner appointment, we were riding down a hill, going very fast to increase our momentum going up the other hill we filed to notice that the road was wet.  As Elder Ambrose rode ahead things just felt different.  We had been on this hill millions of times but it didn't seem the same.  Suddenly as he tried to dodge a pot hole his bike because uncontrollable and he smashed to the ground.  I stared in horror as his helmet flew off.  I immediately jumped from my bike to his aid.  Seeing the scrapes and gashes I called the members in which we had just left, had a person stay next to him and went for some water, ice and peroxide.  We then were able to clean as much as we could and get him to the hospital.  He had to have six stitches put in his right arm, then one in his forehead.  Honestly it was a very gruesome fall.  He was bandaged up and then taken care of and we got back to work this past Saturday.  I am pleased with how fast he is healing and we are ready to take this next week on full throttle.

I am happy for the things in which I have learned and been able to apply through the example of parents, friends and church leaders.  I feel very blessed to be a part of your lives and I think you for all that you have done for me.

I hope you all enjoy this Christmas season.  Have a wonderful Holiday!