Tuesday, October 30, 2012

29 October 2012

Alright, well we finally got power back and the internet decided to kick in.  For all those who didn't know, Hurricane Sandy came right over the area of Yallahs in which I currently am in!  Although the TV reports made it seem a lot worse that it was at least in Jamaica.  It was only at category 1 winds and rain when it past over Jamaica.  The eye of the storm went right over Yallahs and I was able to even countdown and see what the next wall of the storm would hit, it was mostly just wind.  Sadly, yes it did a lot of damage.  We were without power for days and only had a low stream of water after 3 of those days.  We had luckily planned ahead and were fortunate enough to have a pump station near.  So with water we were fine.  Had a nice stash of ramen noodles and baked beans so food was no issue.

The Thursday after the storm hit we set out on a run to help as many people as we could.  Definitely went over the issued hours of service but it was for a good cause, and natural disasters normally the rules are bent just a little bit.  Other than that it has been work, work, work for the past couple of days.  In this last week honestly the work spiritually suffered but is regaining focus mostly in decisions and the appropriate planning.  The storm has now passed us but there is another storm that is still tearing rampant through the streets of Jamaica.  It is up to the superheroes (missionaries!) everywhere to make sure it doesn't destroy the innocent.  :)

Anyway, things are going great here for me.  I just had my last Sunday here in the Yallahs branch.  Ti was really hectic though because both the Branch President and his only counselor were unable to show up.  So as acting Branch Clerk I had to step in and take over for a day.  Really no fun.  But a good experience nonetheless.  The meetings went smoothly and we still had a great service.  It is really off thinking about leaving.  mainly because I have been here for so long but I have come really close with some of the family members here.  I was even told or rather threatened that they were all going to tie me to their door so I couldn't leave.  I don't know if that was because of the fun that I had with them or the actual spirituality that I shared.  I have been really trying to determine what kind of impression I have left on those that I have some into contact with, and I must say I need to work on having more missionary than friend relationship with some but overall I think that with some of the comments I got in the signing journal that I did a pretty good job as a missionary.

Transfers are going to be good.  Although the Lord decided he wants me on the side where hurricanes rarely hit and is moving me to the other side of the island.  The location is called Negril, it is avery touristy so we are going to have our work cut out for us.  It is also somewhat of a small branch so I think I am just good with small things and making them stronger or I wouldn't keep getting called to these places.  Haha but you gotta love it!

I am excited to work with my next companion.  His name is Elder Ambrose.  he is Trinidadian which is an island of the West Indies.  From what I have heard, he is a boss missionary.  I can't wait to tear it up with him in Negril!

My last companion, Elder Campbell has been a very good help to me.  He has taught me so much and I have become a better missionary because of it.  Yes, we had our crazy moments and got some laughs but we were able to work very well with each other and I have come to respect him as a teacher.  He has influenced me to be just a bit more bold in my conviction of the work here in Jamaica.

I want to thank you for your prayers and the things that you have done to support me.  I now head closer to my one year mark and hope to be able to step it up a bunch of notches now that I have the gist of everything down.  I am proud to be known by you and be your friend  and I hope you have been impacted by me as much as I have been impacted by you.  Thanks for all that you do!
Nathan Christensen