Monday, September 2, 2013

2 September 2013

Waagwan mi Breddrin,

That is a Jamaican greeting.  :)  (just in case you didn't know.)

Well not going to lie, this week was somewhat un-eventful.  Sadly the only really clutch and exciting moments were trying to beat the clock and get home on time.  Thank goodness for a vehicle!  This week was actually a good one.  We saw a lot and learned a lot.

One of our investigators named Calex, a Haitian immigrant, had a cool experience this week.  This is the same man that needed a stove.  His background is of a different religion.  He is of the 7th day faith that has a strong belief in the commandment of Sabbath on the 7th day which is Saturday.  And these guys don't mess around.  At least in Jamaica they hated us.  Ok, hate is a strong word, but it is what it felt like.  Always trying to convince us of this law and that it hasn't changed.  Anyway, to the point.  He is one and he is completely different from I guess you could say the stereotypical 7th day.  (No, I am not bad mouthing the 7th days).  They are just hard to work with.   Calex on the other had stood up to his church.  They told him that he could only serve one God, either he would be with them or study with us.  He didn't go to church on Saturday and instead met with us.  He really liked it and everything that we have to share about it.  Goes to show that when people understand, not just know true doctrine, they change, completely.

Really hit me this week how fast missions go.  This last little bit it hopefully going to be my strongest point.  All that I have learned, all that I have practiced, is now being put into play.  Last quarter is the one that counts.  Reminded me of a time when I was in city league basketball under the direction of my brother Kyle and the coach.  It was the final championship game and it was the fourth quarter.  We were down by 12.  I remember him saying something that would forever change my life.  It was, "You won the first quarter, they beat you in the 2nd and in the 3rd.  Now take the 4th!"  It felt as if everything inside of me was supercharged.  That was probably one of the greatest games I have ever played.  I still remember the team.  :)  We did end up winning and it was a great feeling.  I know that as we apply that to anything we do, even our lives, we can accomplish anything.  "Take the 4th" and never give up.

In my studies this week, I came across the story of the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's.  How strong they were in keeping the promises of the Lord and their strict will to obey them with all their heart.  It gives a great example in the 28th chapter of Alma.  Verse 14 says, "And thus we see that the great call of diligence of men to labor in the vineyards of the Lord; and thus we see the great reason of sorrow, and also rejoicing-- sorrow because of the death and destruction among men, and joy because of the light of Christ unto life."  That in our lives we have the choice to make thing great or suffer the consequences for the wrong in which we not only do, but cause to happen later.

Song of the week:  Live Like That   By: Sidewalk Prophets :)

Have a great week this week! :)

Elder Nathan Christensen